blogspot visit counter

Widgets

Recently, a friend asked me what gear he needs to start fishing the many lakes, streams, and rivers of Idaho. I have known him for years, and it never occurred to me that although he is an accomplished hunter, an expert skier, and a genuine all-around outdoorsman, he didn't start fishing until his children showed an interest. Many avid fishermen pick up the habit as children, through weekend trips with family and friends. Some of my earliest outdoor memories stem from fishing with my grandmother. She loved to fish, and would set out on a fishing adventure at a moment's notice. Although her techniques were somewhat antiquated (8' Ugly Stik, 12 pound test, 3 oz sinker, lawn chair and a pole holder), she almost always managed to produce fish. My friend's request got me thinking - there are probably an abundance of people out there who would love to fish, but don't know where to start. Most sporting goods stores will either attempt sell you a $20 fishing combo that would be better served as an instrument of torture, or an expensive specialty rod and reel. The fact is, if you are just starting out what you need is somewhere in between. Use my advice as a starting point, and do your own research. Like anything else, fishing gear is diverse and unique, and should reflect your specific needs and style of fishing. The gear I have listed is best suited for general fishing in Southern, Eastern, and Central Idaho waters. Here's an excerpt of the e-mail I returned to my friend.
Hey-
So which fishing line did you say to get again? I'm revamping all my fishing gear and need a laundry list of line and tackle basics that I need to purchase. Hit me with a list you think every tackle box needs. Lures aren't as important as the basic equipment. Send it to me when you can.
Re:
Here you go buddy. Hope this helps.
Fishing Rod: You don't have to spend a lot of money, but the extremely low-end fishing rods are junk. I've had trouble with broken poles, poles coming apart when I cast, and bent and broken eyes with the low-end rods. It usually happens when you have a big fish on. A good rule of thumb is to look for a pole with a cork handle (not the velvety material) and glass eyes (not plain metal). The Ugly Stik Lite is actually a great pole for the money ($40). My son had a $100 Browning rod that he broke last summer I am planning to replace with the Ugly Stik Lite. Other good middle of the road brands are Pflueger, Shimano, and Quantum.
Reel: Spinning (open-faced) reels work the best. They hold more line and are easier to work on and maintain. The key to finding a reliable reel is in the number of ball bearings. Any decent reel should have at least 5. Spincast (closed-faced) reels work great for kids because they are easier to cast. The main thing to remember with them is that most come pre-spooled with poor quality line. The line will be good for one season if you're lucky. My wife and youngest son love spincast reels, and I usually take them apart 2-3 times per season to clean and oil them. They are way more susceptible to becoming clogged with dirt, moss, and debris. The best spincast reels on the market are the Zebco Omega, Pflueger Cetina, and Abu Garcia Abumatic. My next (spinning) reel will be a Shimano Spirex. Mitchell alsomakes reasonably priced bullet-proof reels. If I was going to purchase a solid, inexpensive rod and reel set-up for a friend that was just beginning to fish, it would probably be a 6' 6" Ugly Stik Lite paired with a Mitchell 300Xe Classic Series spinning reel. Both products are tried and true, and have been on the market since I was a kid.
Combo Packages: Outside of kids pole set-ups, you have to be really careful if you buy a package. Most pair one piece of acceptable equipment with a piece of junk the manufacturer is trying to unload. Shimano, Phlueger, and Quantum all put out decent combo packages. I broke down and bought my wife a combo last fall (I just wanted the reel; it was the best spincast reel on the market and the pole was basically free from Cabelas), and the end eye came off last weekend when we were fishing. It was the 3rd time she had used the pole.
Line: I firmly believe that if you are going to splurge, do it on line. Nothing ruins a day more quickly than breaking off a big fish, or messing with tangled line while everyone else is fishing. Florocarbon line is a solid all-around choice. For my money, Berkley Vanish Transition, Seaguar, and P-Line Halo are the best on the market. I typically use a little heavier than recommended. For smaller poles and kids poles, I use 6lb test, and 8lb for the longer rods. I prefer colored line, because it is easier to see when you're tying on a hook or casting and kids don't seem to trip over it as often.
Hooks: Hands down, the only bait hooks I buy are Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp. They are markedly sharper than other hooks, and the leader is integrated into the hook so you don't get the abrasion that comes with knots. I try to keep packages of #4, #6, and #8 hooks in my tackle box all of the time, and typically use the #6.
Swivels: Using small swivels helps to keep from getting your line tangled, and they work great to change out hooks and lures quickly. Most people make the mistake of using large swivels; I try to buy the smallest barrel or ball bearing swivels I can find - and make sure they have snaps on one end. It's also a good idea to keep some 3-way swivels on hand.
Sinkers: I keep an assortment of egg sinkers, bell sinkers, removable split shot, and rubber core sinkers. If I had to pick one type of sinker to keep with me at all times, it would be removable split shot. Buy the round package of assorted sizes, and you will be covered in almost any situation.
Bobbers: They don't work well for me. I don't know why, because from time to time I see people catching fish using bobbers. I saw an elderly gentleman hook into at least a 5lb trout about four feet from the dock using a steelhead bobber a couple of weeks ago. The only bobbers that I use and keep on hand are steelhead bobbers, and the clear cigar-shaped bobbers that are used when fishing with flies.
Flies: I haven't fly-fished in years, but I keep an assortment of dry flies in my tackle box. If there is a hatch and fish are surfacing, it is effective to use a clear cigar-shaped bobber and about 4' to 6' of leader with your spinning rod.
Bait: My wife loves Powerbait, and it works ok, but it is incredibly messy and doesn't float well. I can typically catch fish almost anywhere with night crawlers, marshmallows, and/or Nitro Eggs (red). Regarding marshmallows: all of the sporting goods stores sell them in assorted colors. They cost between $3-$5, depending on brand. I learned the hard way that the name-brand fishing marshmallows aren't worth the cost. They don't float well, don't stay on the hook, and get sticky when it gets warm. Your best bet is the old-school small assorted-color marshmallows they sell in supermarkets. They cost $2 for a huge bag, stay on the hook, and float like nothing else. The intended application of marshmallows is to float your worm up off the bottom of the lake where it will attract more fish.
Lures: By far, the most effective and versatile lure I have ever used is the Mack's Wedding Ring Classic Spinner. I've used them in ponds, lakes, creeks, and rivers, and caught Walleye, Perch, Bass, and Trout. I buy red and/or green with the smaller single hooks and tip the hook with 1/4 night crawler. I've also had good luck with green and/or black Worden's Original Rooster Tails. If you are going to fish for walleye or bass (which I strongly recommend), you will need some weighted jig heads (assorted sizes) and plastic worms. The fluorescent green, white, and dark green colors seem to work the best in the waters we fish, but effective color use (this applies to any lure) varies based on water temperature and color, and weather conditions. We have also done well fishing for bass and walleye with any lure that resembles a minnow.
Misc.: Always keep a small can of WD-40 in your tackle box to clean and lubricate your reel. I also keep at least 200 yards of extra line. I can guarantee you that if you are camped in a remote location and your fishing pole is malfunctioning, the fish will be biting. Also make sure you have 2-3 rope stringers. They are inexpensive, and it seems like they always get left in the garage after a successful fishing trip. And keep a net with you at all times, even if it's a small inexpensive model. If you hook a big fish, chances are it will break off when you try to land it if you don't use a net. The elderly gentleman mentioned in the bobber section above lost his big fish due to the absence of a net.
Want to learn more about Matt or outdoor recreation in the State of Idaho? Visit [http://www.idahooutdoorportal.com].

Disqus for soul fishing