blogspot visit counter

Widgets



When I first started bass fishing, I was six years old. I was using a Heddon Tiny Torpedo by an old concrete wall that had fallen in the water at Buckeye Lake. I was fishing this double prop bait and all of a sudden I had this big splash right by my bait. It almost scared me to death! I kept fishing and was ready for this fish the next time. It struck again, it was a nice 6 pound bass, which to me at that age, was a monster!

There are several good double prop baits out there including the Torpedo and Smithwick Devil's Horse. No Bait always catches fish but when a double prop does it can be lot more effective than poppers, walking baits and buzzbaits. Unknown to many people, the pros use them as well.

One of the main reasons they work is people have not used them much whereas Spooks and buzzbaits are seen by bass everywhere. A double prop bait makes a disturbance in the water, bubbles and sound like no other lure. Some good places to use these baits are around a submerged log, grass mats, and between lily pads openings. Some good colors are perch, black and lures that have orange bellies. Replacing the hooks to black on both ends and red in the middle produces good results for me. On two hook double prop lures I replace the back hook with red. I also use heavier line in the 25 pound range, this prevent the line from getting tangled on the front hook.

Try several retrieves, if one doesn't produce then try another. You can use a spurt, spurt, spurt retrieve or use the lure like a buzzbait. Experiment! Slow it down, speed it up, twitch it, combine the retrieves. While you many not catch bass on a prop bait a lot of times, the bass you do catch are usually quality bass.

Here is one of the methods I use to fish the double prop bait. I throw it out and let it sit until the water rings around it disappear, approximately 30 seconds. Then I take my rod tip and twitch it, this makes the lure move one way or the other. Then I let the lure sit still for about a minute. I then twitch my rod tip again and this will make the lure move in the opposite direction. I leave it sit again for about 30 seconds. Now, what I do is I move the lure slowly by just winding in on my reel. The lure moves so little and so slowly that you can hardly see it move and this is when I get most of my strikes.

I believe this technique does two things. One is when you throw a lure in the water, it sometimes startles the bass. By letting it sit, the bass can relax some and hone in on the lure. Also, by twitching it and letting it sit for several seconds, the bass is no longer scared of the lure and wants to investigate it more. Then by barely moving the lure, you keep the lure in front of the bass longer and the bass thinks the lure is trying to get away and wants the bait. I use this technique a lot on my topwater fishing and it works!


Charles E. White has fished for bass for over 56 years. In that amount of time he has caught an estimated 7,000 bass with his largest at 12 pounds 14 ounces. Charles has owned two tackle shops in his life and fished with the pros in Florida.

He has shared his bass fishing tips with thousands of people over the years, including some who have went on to become pro.

Ohio bass fishing, bass fishing tips, bass fishing reports and more:
http://www.bassfishingohio.com/bassblog/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Charles_E._White

Disqus for soul fishing