blogspot visit counter

Widgets


It's amazing how much things have changed since I was a youngster. In fact, I can't believe how much they've changed in the last decade or so. I'm not even referring to things like technology; medical science, or any other such thing. I'm only referring to something as simple as a bit of fishing.
As a youngster I was fortunate to live quite close to a small lake, and a crowd of us would head off there frequently to do a bit of fishing. While there wasn't much to catch, other than tilapia, it was still great fun, and besides, when we needed something more challenging, we would head off and do some rock and surf angling.
We had our own tackle boxes and bait boxes; a rod of course, and enough food and refreshments to see us through. Strangely enough, I can't recall any of us ever having a rod holder. Instead, we'd improvise by using a forked branch broken off a nearby tree. Those natural and free rod holders served us well, but lo and behold, we wanted something better eventually.
In our group, these rod holders evolved to become crudely fashioned rod holders, most made from a piece of hollow tubing which in turn was welded to a piece of steel rebar which served as a spike that could be driven into the ground. Did they work? Of course they did, but they were heavy, and the inevitable rust seemed to stain everything an undesired shade of brown.
These days, I see anglers with amazing looking cast alloy rod holders. Naturally I also wanted a few, so I started looking into what's available. Let' just say, I couldn't hope to describe all the various alloy I've seen. What I've also discovered is that one only truly appreciates the value of these when you go fish off a boat.
I personally don't own a boat because I simply cannot afford one, but it's clear why boat owners won't settle for anything less than good quality cast alloy rod holders. While many boat owners/anglers won't admit it, the biggest attraction is that these holders won't leave unsightly stain on their boat.
The next reason is that alloy rod holders are incredibly durable and also dependable. After all, they been designed by fellow anglers, and no angler wants to risk losing a good catch if they don't have to. You'll also find that most are designed to hold fishing rods at the idea angle. This ensures your lines and so on are well clear of the boat, thereby minimizing the chances of lines becoming entangled in the propellers.
Some of the better ones will also include a safety clip. These make it virtually impossible for rods to be pulled out of the holder in the event that a particularly large fish is hooked. I've even seen cast alloy that include a small device that will alert you if a fish takes your bait.
I don't often get out on a boat to do some fishing, but yes, I'll admit it... I do own a few good alloy myself. I've been fishing all my life, so as far as I'm concerned, I deserve a few luxuries these days. If you've never looked into getting some of these holders, I honestly recommend that you do. However, even if you choose not to, let me just say... Tight Lines.
Check out a great cast alloy rod holders, and their website http://menacemarine.com.au/

Disqus for soul fishing